Team:Calgary/20 July 2010


Revision as of 22:30, 20 July 2010 by H.dastidar (Talk | contribs)

Tuesday July 20, 2010

Gel electrophoresis of Raida's PCR products: BBK primers that anneal before the multiple cloning sites. Lane 4 and 5 : Lux0047 A + B0015 psB1AK3 Lane 6: J23002 + Lux0047E, Lane7: R0040 + I3502, Lane 8: Lux0047E, Lane 9: Master Mix


Today I set up and ran two 1% gels: one for my PCR products from yesterday and the second one for Emily's PCR products- both of which were done to test whether our primers are working or not. Please see the gel to the side: As we can see in the gel electrophoresis image, the expected results has been obtained. For example, Lane 8 ladder contains only the Lux0047E gene where as Lane 6 has J23002 + Lux0047E, hence the band in Lane 8 goes slightly further relative to Lane 6 because it is a shorter band. Lanes 4 and 5 show exactly the same band because they are the same genes in the same plasmid backbone. Furthermore, Lane 9 shows no band because it is the Master Mix and our negative control. Therefore, it can be concluded that the primers are functional.


Today I completed the ligation and transformation of the I0500+E0034 plasmid switch. I also ran the PCR products and the results came back negative. So I set up another PCR and Gel.


Today I helped plasmid prep the degP promoter and cpxR promoter on a GFP and RFP reporter device each. I also continued looking to literature regarding high and low-copy plasmids for the modelling project.


Today I plated the construction that I did last night. I also overnight cultured the construction from last night by inoculating from the cells to be plated. Tomorrow I will plasmid prep the cultures. I also looked into the literature regarding the plasmid which will be presented to Paul on Thursday.

No notebook page exists for this date. Sorry!