Revision as of 17:13, 25 October 2010 by MengzheWang (Talk | contribs)

Team LMU iGEM 2010

Our team picture
Also our team

Who we are

We are a team constisting of biologists, biochemists, chemists and bioinformatics and four faculty advisors... The LMU team is competing for the first time.



Who is in charge of what?

Press Nicolas Keller, Marisa Kurz
Sponsoring Sabine Wagner, Franziska Haefele
Pathway Tobias Bauer, Emanuel Stiegeler, Benny Clanner
ApoControl Julia Bartels, Jara Radeck, Mengzhe Grace Wang
Homepage Tatyana Goldberg, Jens Popken
Coordination/Organisation Jara Radeck

What we did

Short description of our work, our results and our supporters

To establish our two systems “Cut’N’Survive” and “Jump-Or-Die” for selecting cells by apoptosis, we first set out to build the necessary BioBricks. We searched for sources of the DNA parts involved and several labs kindly provided us with the plasmids and sequences in need, as listed at the end.

Most genes and promoters were amplificated per PCR with overhang-primers with the BioBrick prefix or suffix. If the sequence contained a EcoRI-, PstI-, XbaI-, SpeI- or NotI- restriction site, mutagenesis primers were used and the amplified DNA parts were then fused by fusion PCR. All PCRs worked in the end in spite of several problems with the touch down PCR and the fusion PCR.The PCR products were then tested by agarose gel electrophoresis if they were of the right lengths.

In parallel, we made competent cells and multiplied the ccdB (death gene)-vectors with different antibiotic resistances.

All components were then digested with the appropriate restriction enzymes. The PCR products were cleaned with a PCR purification kit and the ccdB-vectors were dephosphorylated to reduce false ligations.

We ligated our constructs and several intermediates with the 3A-assembly according to the schedule. The ligations were transformed to E.coli DH5α strains and selected by antibiotics. The colonies were later picked and the insertion of the construct was confirmed by colony PCR.

If the colony PCR showed bands of the right size, the plasmids were extracted from overnight cultures and sequenced with forward and reverse BioBrick primers.

In the end we succeeded in obtaining four correctly sequenced BioBricks. But since the sequences of other necessary parts turned out wrong, neither of our systems could be completed and we were not able to test them in eukarytic cell lines.

In addition, we found out that the CMV-promoter we ordered from the BioBrick registry was in fact a lacI gene, which resulted in the procrastination of our plan. We have sent the correction to the registry to facilitate future teams.

Our notebook with detailed descriptions can be found here: ApoControl notebook

The protocols we used are listed here: Protocols

The Biobricks we could submit:

  • BBa_K368004: attP+eGFP+SV40PA
  • BBa_K368011: eGFP+SV40PA
  • BBa_K368016: TEVrecognition site+N-degron+SF3b155
  • BBa_K368019: TEV-Protease+p14*+TEVrecognition site


  • Prof. Dr. Angelika Böttger :
    • prevTRE (tet-on CMV promoter; inducible by doxycycline in special cell lines)
    • supported the construction ideas and would have given us the cells and mediums we would have needed
    • SV40PA (Polyadenylation site): gave us a vector containing it
    • Human Bak: her assistant Erika Clement gave us appropriate cDNA

Plasmid and sequence sources

As our project for human practice, we carried out a survey about synthetic biology on the general public at the Oktoberfest, LMU Munich and the Municipal Secretary: Human practice

Where we are from

We are students at Ludwigs-Maximilians-University in Munich, Germany.

our bio-center (photos courtesy of