Team:Caltech/Week 3

From 2010.igem.org


iGEM 2010



Home

People

Project Details

Protocols

Completed Systems

Notebook

Biosafety

Human Impact

References

Support


Caltech logo watermark.png


Monday 6/28

  • Tested the success of the construct we made using digest and gel electrophoresis.
    • Digested ligation product from 6/26 with EcoRI and PstI.
    • Ran digests on gel along with 1kb and 100kb molecular ladders.
  • Gel result: No bands were visible other than those of the ladders. Amount of DNA used was most likely too low and thus the ligation product could not be confirmed.
Image of a test gel of our third ligation product. Note that the middle two lanes are sadly empty.

Tuesday 6/29

  • Transformation results: Transformation of the ampicillin-resistant BioBricks seemed to be successful. However, no bacterial growth was present in the plates and liquid cultures with tetracyclin present. This seems to indicate a problem with the tetracyclin used.
    • Of the plates with bacterial growth (K274100 (red), K274200 (orange)), there was evidence of pigment production, indicating a successful transformation.
  • Transformed 7 more bricks (pigments & our AND gate components):

Wednesday 6/30

  • Transformation results: Only two plates did not have colonies on them.
    • The liquid cultures of the red and orange dyes, K274110 and K274210, seemed to be different colors than the other cultures. When centrifuged down, the cells showed signs of pigment production.
    • Both the colonies and the liquid culture of K274004 (light green) were darkly colored. There was pigment production; however, the pigment did not appear to be a light green color.
  • Prepared glycerol stocks.
  • Retransformed three bricks and one new brick (GFP):

Thursday 7/1

  • Transformation results: All transformations were successful! There was no problem with the antibiotic used.
  • Performed minipreps and created glycerol stocks from the liquid cultures.
  • Received requested bricks from the Registry of Standard Parts. We plated and created liquid cultures of the cells containing the bricks.
  • Began digests of bricks according to the NEB BioBrick assembly kit protocol.
  • Began ligation reactions:
  1. KI765001/KI13504/pSB1C3
  • Attaching the UV promoter to a GFP reporter will allow us to test the promoter.
  1. B0034/K274100/pBAD18
  • To be used for a pigment-production experiment in minimal media.

Friday 7/2

Note: Friday is an Institute Holiday (which explains why we didn't do much today).

Weekend 7/3-4

 
Caltech logo.png
Caltech footer.png


Locations of visitors to this page